Digital health in Africa is booming, and that’s the greatest news since the invention of broadband internet connection. The flourishing of disruptive solutions might go down to the fact that instead of relying on traditional infrastructure and a conventional healthcare system, populations in Africa need cheap, easily accessible and genuinely problem-solving technologies. Why, when and how have they got there?
No one really knows how the most advanced algorithms do what they do. That could be a problem.
Be careful what you count for!
‘Perhaps fitness apps can create an ‘all or nothing’ mentality that can make it difficult to set realistic, achievable target’
Researchers from the University of Tokyo Institute of Industrial Science have now created a biohybrid robot — a robotic device that incorporates living tissue — that remained functional for more than a week
Dueling neural networks. Artificial embryos. AI in the cloud. Welcome to our annual list of the 10 technology advances we think will shape the way we work and live now and for years to come.
World’s first clinical trial in which doctors transplanted stem cells into a fetus.
Mann maintains that intellectual life in the 21st century is defined by a civil war between Wizards, who believe that technology will save us, and Prophets, who see various kinds of disaster on the horizon…
By combining a LifeNaut Bio File™ account with a LifeNaut Mind File™ account, there is a chance that future technology will be able to grow you a new body from your stored live cells and allow you to then download your conscious mindfile into that body.
şi un punct
o dreaptă mioapă
stau pe gând
ca pe veceu
orfan de gurã
întro limbã strainã
A 50-year-old philosophical thought experiment has been central to the debate about autonomous vehicles. It’s time to give it up.
Ian Bogost: “When engineers, critics, journalists, or ordinary people adopt the trolley problem as a satisfactory (or even just a convenient) way to think about autonomous-vehicle scenarios, they are refusing to consider the more complex moral situations in which these apparatuses operate.”
- Fourth revolution of fuman self-understanding (Floridi, 2016): humans are (no longer) the most intelligent entity on the planet;
- Discoveries in neuroscience: human consciousness is a myth; new material for old quarrels over about freedom of will, the problem of Other Minds;
- Consciousness/life as information; humans as complicated algorithms (to be deciphered, copied, emulated, downloaded, upgraded);
- Upgraded humans: enhancing bodies and minds through genetic manipulation, computer-brain interfaces, mind uploading; post-humanism;
- Human-machines mixing: computers simulating brains, brains extended by artificial networks;
- Godly humans (death of carbon death) v superintelligent machine(s).